Second Claim Paragraph
The debate about gun control is often centered around [choose one: the second amendment/self-defense/crime control/violence.] One example of this can be found in [describe an event, law or fact related to this facet of the gun control debate.]
Additionally, gun control laws regulate the [choose one: sale/possession/modification/use] of firearms by civilians. This impacts [describe who or what this branch of gun control impacts and how.]
- The United States has a pervasive gun culture stemming from the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution which states that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
- The United States has the highest per capita and total number of guns in the world.
- Gun control is hotly debated because it involves issues of violence as well as issues of personal defense.
- Those who support stricter gun control laws believe that firearms should be more regulated by governmental entities, while those who support fewer gun control laws believe that such measures take away basic rights and securities.
- Those impacted by gun control laws include all citizens who wish to own a personal firearm for self-defense, sport hunting or collecting.
- Specific gun control measures include background checks and limitations on types of firearms and ammunition that may be legally purchased by citizens.
ProCon.org Information about Gun Control
JustFacts.com Resources on Gun Control
Atlantic.com Guide to Gun Laws in America and Worldwide
Show MoreAccording to dosomethingnow.org, “close to 33,000 Americans were victims of gun-related deaths in 2011”(11 Facts About Guns). When used properly, guns can be beneficial to society. They are used by police officers and military officials to save lives. Guns are also used for hunting purposes. However, when in the wrong hands, guns can be used to do terrible things. America needs stricter rules and regulations regarding those who have access to guns. These harsher laws will help create a safer environment, decrease the number of homicides, and reduce the number of suicides. America would be a safer place if there were harsher gun control laws. According a study done by the Violence Policy Center, 456 people were hurt as a result of drive-by…show more content…
These two events prove that America would have a safer environment with less guns. It is clear that guns are an important problem, since people are getting shot at gas stations and even in their own homes. One idea that would help make society a safer place is world-wide education on gun safety. It should also be required for potential gun owners to take gun safety classes before having a gun. That way, people will be properly educated in how and when to use a gun. While more rules about gun control will help create a safe atmosphere, it will also severely reduce the amount of homicides. Harsher gun control laws that limit who has access to guns and the amount of guns they can have will help decrease the number of homicides that occur. For example, on December 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, Adam Lanza murdered 20 children and 8 adults, including himself (Lende). While the Mass murder at Sandy Hook was premeditated, and Adam Lanza probably would have found another way to kill even if he didn't have access to guns, he would not have been able to do nearly as much damage. Many people argue that guns are necessary for self defense, however, Arthur Kellerman and Donald Reay’s research states that “a gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household, or friend, than an intruder.” Kellerman’s studies also show that “a household with a gun is 2.7 times more